Prince Harry has always been the prince of all our hearts. He has taken on his mother’s role in charity with aplomb. The world watched Harry and Meghan become parents and subsequently step away from their royal duties to live a non-royal life outside of the United Kingdom. Before his unprecedented retreat from royal life, he served his country on many fronts. Below are 32 things you may not know about Prince Harry – and it is fact-checked.
1. Prince Harry’s full name
He was christened Henry Charles Albert David of Wales, and his official surname is Mountbatten-Windsor. He gave his son, Archie Harrison, the same surname.
2. Prince Harry met Nelson Mandela
Prince Harry traveled to Africa on safari with his father, Prince Charles. His father brought him to meet Nelson Mandela, which was intended to lift his spirits. Princess Diana was very close friends with Nelson Mandela.
3. Coat of Arms
4. Personal charity
5. Prince Harry’s military career
Prince Harry attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst beginning in 2005, and after serving in the British military he waspresented his wings by his father on May 7, 2010, at a ceremony at the Army Air Corps Base in Middle Wallop. He has also been awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal (2002) and the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan (2008).
6. Fan of sports
Harry is an avid sports fan. His favorites include rugby, polo, skiing, motocross, and soccer.
7. Prince Harry hikes for charity to the North Pole and the South Pole
In 2011, Harry set out to hike to the North Pole with a group of wounded veterans as part of the ‘Walking with the Wounded Project’. He had to cut the journey short to attend his brother’s wedding. In 2013, he decided to attempt the journey again – this time to the South Pole. He successfully completed the journey with the ‘Walking with the Wounded Project’ veterans.
8. Invictus Games
In 2014, Harry created and organized the first Invictus Games, an Olympic-style event for wounded soldiers.
9. Helped raise awareness for HIV testing
In 2016, Harry took an HIV test live on the royal family Facebook page to raise awareness for HIV and promote testing.
10. Star Trek
Prince Harry is a Star Trek fan.
Video Version of this Article
11. Prince Harry gifted a token of Princess Diana to Meghan Markle
Two of the three diamonds in the ring Prince Harry gave to Meghan Markle for their engagement were from his mother’s personal collection.
12. Army involvement in Afghanistan
Prince Harry served in the Army for ten years. He rose to the rank of Captain and undertook two tours of Afghanistan.
13. Helicopter training
Prince Harry attended Helicopter training school while in the military and is very passionate about aviation.
14. Princess Diana’s wedding dress
Princess Diana’s wedding dress was inherited by Prince Harry when he turned 30, as per Princess Diana’s will.
15. New Dukedom and titles
Upon his marriage, HM The Queen conferred a Dukedom on Prince Henry of Wales, and his titles became Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel.
16. Prince Harry’s love for Nepal
Prince Harry counts the beautiful country of Nepal as one of his favorites and has visited many times, following in his mother Princess Diana’s footsteps.
Prince Harry was christened on 21 December 1984 at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Robert Runcie.
18. Second tallest British royal
He is 6’2”, just one inch shorter than his older brother, making him the second tallest member of the royal family.
19. Pet rabbit
Growing up, Harry had a lop-eared rabbit that he cared for on a daily basis, along with his family’s sheep and lamb.
20. Boarding school
A British royal/upper-class rite of passage, Harry started attending boarding school at the tender age of 7!
21. Red Hair Heritage
According to Princess Diana, Harry’s red hair came from her side of the family.
22. Philanthropic spirit
Philanthropy is Harry’s passion. In addition to the Sentebalecharity he co-founded, he has also publicly supports UNICEF among many other charities.
Related articles: A Tribute To The Academy Awards: All Best Actor/Actress Speeches From The Beginning Of Oscars 1929-2019 | From Rami Malek, Leonardo DiCaprio To Marlon Brando & Beyond | From Olivia Colman, Meryl Streep To Bette Davis & Beyond
23. Prince Charles & Princess Diana wedding
His parent’s wedding ceremony was viewed by over 750 million people around the globe.
24. No royal title for his own son
Harry and Meghan decided against giving their son Archie a royal title at birth. This could have been foreshadowing of their decision to step down as senior royals in favor of a “normal” life.
25. In line to the throne
Prince Harry is sixth in line to the British throne, but it’s unclear if he had to forgo his line in succession in order to successfully depart from his senior royal role.
26. Prince Harry needs the Queen’s permission
Under the Succession to the Crown Act, Harry was required to be granted permission from the monarch before proposing to Meghan Markle.
27. On Twitter?
He hates Twitter and thinks it’s an invasion of privacy.
28. No desire to be King
He has publicly stated that he does not want to be King.
29. Mental health
Harry has openly advocated for mental health awareness and has stated he sought counseling after his mother’s death.
30. Prince Harry wants to modernize the royal family
After his wedding, Harry became more vocal about wanting to modernize the institution and pushed for the monarchy to adapt to the changing world.
31. His first date with Meghan Markle
Harry met Meghan on a blind date arranged by a mutual friend.
32. Prince Harry was a jet-setter before he was a one year old.
His first overseas trip was to Italy with his parents in May 1985 when he was just eight months old.
While the future of this royal in terms of the British throne are unclear, it’s obvious he is following his heart and pursuing what feels best for himself and his family. For a man who was born into an overbearing spotlight and has suffered the loss of his mother in the public eye, it is Prince Harry’s turn to make an executive decision to live the life he wants. How he chooses to do so isn’t a matter of public opinion, just a matter of personal preference.
We, at Hollywood Insider, would like to wish continued success, happiness, and peace to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and Archie along with the entire royal family. We are fans!
By Raquel Kokkoros
More Interesting Stories From Hollywood Insider
– Do you know the hidden messages in ‘Call Me By Your Name’? Find out behind the scenes facts in the full commentary and In-depth analysis of the cinematic masterpiece
– A Tribute To The Academy Awards: All Best Actor/Actress Speeches From The Beginning Of Oscars 1929-2019 | From Rami Malek, Leonardo DiCaprio To Marlon Brando & Beyond | From Olivia Colman, Meryl Streep To Bette Davis & Beyond
– Why Queen Elizabeth II Is One Of The Greatest Monarchs | Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of United Queendom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
– Compilation: All James Bond 007 Opening Sequences From 1962 Sean Connery to Daniel Craig
– In the 32nd Year Of His Career, Keanu Reeves’ Face Continues To Reign After Launching Movies Earning Over $4.3 Billion In Total – “John Wick”, “Toy Story 4”, “Matrix”, And Many More
– Want GUARANTEED SUCCESS? Remove these ten words from your vocabulary| Transform your life INSTANTLY
Hollywood Insider is a media network thatfocuses on substance and meaningful entertainment/culture, so as to utilize media as a tool to unite and better our world, by combining entertainment, education and philanthropy, while being against gossip and scandal.