Photo: Director Kathryn Bigelow on the red carpet at the 2010 Academy Award ceremonies/Cristiano Del Riccio/Oscars
This is the 92nd year of the Academy Awards, also known as Oscars. In this edition of Hollywood Insider’s ‘Fact-Checked Series’ – we bring to you a fact-checked, verified and specifically compiled list of women who have won the Best Director Award. Lets begin. Please brace yourself and set some time aside to complete this list and your mental stability after you realize the truth, well the shocking truth.
Kathryn took home the Oscar for Best Director in 2009 during the 82nd Academy Awards. She won for “The Hurt Locker” and she was presented the award by the only female Golden Globes Best Director winner Barbra Streisand. That was over a decade ago.
2. ___________________ (can you see what is written here? Nope. Don’t worry – its not a technical error. Its a human error. A societal error. An ethical error. A perspective error. A moral error. It is just plain wrong).
And that brings us to the end of the list. Yup, only one female director ever won the Academy Award. The one and only win was over ten years ago. TEN YEARS AGO.
That is shocking, unfortunate and unfair.
As Rebel WIlson so rightly put it during her speech at the BAFTA Awards Ceremony while congratulating directing nominees Sam Mendes, Todd Phillips, Bong Joon-Ho, Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese. Wilson said, “I look at the exceptional daring talent nominated in this category, and I don’t think I could do what they do. Honestly, I just don’t have the balls.”
The Oscars has to rectify this major issue. From today onwards. Lets speak on these important issues before the start of the next awards season – as in right now and from today onwards. Instead of focusing on the blame game, lets chage the dialogue and continue onwards with a ‘solutions-oriented’ conversation on these issues that need to happen everyday and not just during awards time.
Hopefully, the Oscars will get it right next year? Here’s to hoping. Times Up. Times Up? #timesup
By Pritan Ambroase
Meet the Oscar 2020 Nominees | In-Depth Analysis | Academy Awards
All Best Actor/Actress Speeches From The Beginning Of Oscars 1929-2019
– A Tribute To The Academy Awards: All Best Actor/Actress Speeches From The Beginning Of Oscars 1929-2019 | From Rami Malek, Leonardo DiCaprio To Marlon Brando & Beyond | From Olivia Colman, Meryl Streep To Bette Davis & Beyond
– Video: ‘Little Women’ – Full Commentary & Reactions From Stars With Timothée Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Greta Gerwig, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, Louis Garrel, James Norton & Team
– Stop Pitting Duchesses Kate Middleton & Meghan Markle Against Each Other, Both Can Be Great Without The Other Being Torn Down
– Video: Full Commentary & Reactions From Stars On ‘Bombshell’ With Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, Margot Robbie, Jay Roach & Team
– Why Queen Elizabeth II Is One Of The Greatest Monarchs | Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of United Queendom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland